September 14, 2006

A quick note

… responding to these comments on “Training in Backup”

2. hi dear Anousheh , my name is Anousheh too ! and i am from IRAN too! one years ago , i found your site in google and i am very happy that your name in ANOUSHEH! because in IRAN ,this name is very limited,now.
i hope that your tour will well and i am very happy that knowing you.
if you like email for me and you know i will happy so much …so much and so much..
TAKE CARE ,AND WITH THE BEST WISHES..
Anousheh M Majlesi

Comment by anousheh — September 13, 2006 @ 5:57 pm

Hi Anousheh,

I’m happy to know another Anousheh as well. Our name is indeed rare in Iran, or anywhere else for that matter. But I have to say everyone likes our name when they hear it. Especially here in Russia, our name has been a big hit. They have a similar name and to them it sounds very sweet and endearing. Do you know what Anousheh means :-)?

35. I was there during the two milestone runs in the Mojave, when Burt Rutan set the marker for the rest to take heed. I remember Burt’s speech afterwards, in particular his clever word-play on NASA (the Nay Sayers!). It was all encapsulated so perfectly. As I sat there, fluttering through my cue cards, I was reminded of a great story that was poignant then, and still resonates in light of Ms. Ansari’s choice today:

When Christopher Columbus neared the West Indies, his ships were well within eyesight for many days. Meanwhile, the natives on land would fish in the same ocean, swim and bathe, never taking into their reality that the ships were looming closer, just at the horizon line. How could they? They had never SEEN a ship before. The concept of such a thing was SO remote in their minds that they literally could not SEE it in their scope of the world.

But there was one native who was beginning to feel a stir in the air. He couldn’t quite focus on it, but his innate connection to his surroundings compelled him to take a sabatical to the shoreline. There he sat, and meditated, all the while searching in his soul for the thing he felt but could not see. And on the third day, he opened his eyes, and woke the village with it.

The medicine man turned to a fisherman, and he asked him: “Do you see that? Those vessels coming our way?”

The fisherman was confused, but would not dare dispute the medicine man’s vision. “Maybe. I don’t know. Wait. What are those crosses in the water?”. And it swelled like a brushfire. By the end of the afternoon, everyone in the village could SEE the ships. Suddenly, the massive ships that rowed forward with each passing wave, ignored by the natives who had no previous knowledge of them, came to form. Their spectrum of possibility was broadened that day, and the world would never be the same…

I don’t know if how I’m relating this story makes any sense, only that it took ONE PERSON to see, for everyone to acknowledge. In short, we don’t recognize what we don’t know. So when I see someone, a human being just like any other, walking along that seemingly impossible path, it suddenly makes it plausible to me. Why not space? It begins with that first step.

Anousheh, you’re taking that first step for yourself, while leaving behind a path for us to someday follow. I’m exhilarated with the possibilities that will be discovered, and the new world that your dreams have opened for us.

Humanity should be so grateful.

Comment by Ray Izad-Mehr — September 14, 2006 @ 4:47 am

I must say your analogy was beautiful… Thank you… It made me think of one my favorite books: “The Tipping Point.” I hope with the help of all you bloggers we would bring about the tipping point for a new world where dreams can come true, where people live together with understanding and peace, and where Space Travel is an everyday commute :-)

p.s., you may enjoy one of my favorite quotes: “Space isn’t that far – it’s only an hour’s drive if your car could go straight up.” — Sir Fred Hoyle

1. Anousheh, Hale shoma che tour id?

Congratulations on being selected to fly the mission next week! I had known that you were a backup for the flight, but just today found out that you had been moved up. How exciting it must be and such an honour as well. I wish you well and look forward to following your flight.

“Ye are the fruits of one tree and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship.”

Khoda-hafez!

Comment by S Rabbani in Brazil — September 14, 2006 @ 8:23 pm

2. Anoushe
    All my best wishes. Good Luck. I had a dream to build a spaceship
    if I ever do that you will be invited.

Arman M.Nazari

Comment by Arman M Nazari — September 15, 2006 @ 5:36 pm

3. salam anooooosh
    vaghti rafti oonja parchameh iran ro bendazz ro dosheh ye setareh , ta hamisheh javdan o derakhshan baghi bemoneh , to az tarafeh hameh ma ye ferestadeh hasti vaseh hameh oon chizaiee ke behesh eftekhar mikonim ,.million ha del badragheat mikonan va sabad sabad setareh miad esteghbalet , safaret be khir

[Hi Anousheh,
    When you reach there, hang Iran's flag from a star; so it will shine for
    ever! You are our ambassador for all the things we are proud of.
    Millions of hearts are escorting you there and millions of stars welcome
    you. have a safe trip.]

Comment by fataneh-karimzadeh — September 15, 2006 @ 11:06 pm

4. The Story Of Two Wolves…Reading and Hearing some of the comments people have made regarding you and your actions reminded me of this story….

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a
    battle that goes on inside people. He said, “My son,
    The battle is between two ‘wolves’ inside all of us.

One is Evil….It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret,
    greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment
    Inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.

The other is Good….It is joy, peace, love, hope,
    serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence,
    empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, so “Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “THE ONE YOU FEED”

Anousheh jan congratulations on making your dream come true. You are an inspiration for many to take that first step and simply “dare to dream!”
    May all of us learn to feed and nurture the good within ourselves and work hard to reach our highest potentials.
    I wish you a safe trip!
    Negar

Comment by Negar — September 16, 2006 @ 5:17 am

5. hey anousheh
    it’s greeting from thailand
    i am a writer and editor of ThemeAsia travel magazine

i have written something about you in Business Thai languge

i will make thai people know and love you

plese remember my name and ThemeAsia

if you want to sponsor me once
    in the next trip

hope you enjoy the trip

prartana

Comment by prartana — September 16, 2006 @ 7:02 am

6. salam khnoome ansari.
    az tarafe tamame javanane mihanet IRAN be to tabrik migam.
    omidvaram tooye in safar be ahdafet beresi.va omidvaram be irany boodane khodet eftekhar koni.
    ghalbe javoonhaye irany baraye to mitape.
    shad bashi ,bye

Comment by congratulation — September 16, 2006 @ 1:29 pm

7. You are indeed a true inspiration to all. Your dream sets a mark for all to follow. The whole world should be truely proud and supportive of all that you aspire to. Best wishes for a safe and rewarding journey. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Comment by Kathy's Dad, Chicago — September 16, 2006 @ 2:27 pm

8. ANOUSHEH:
    BEING YOUR NEIGHBOUR; FROM PAKISTAN I SINCERELY HOPE AND PRAY FOR YOU TO HAVE A SAFE TRIP. MORE IMPORTANTLY I HOPE YOU WILL BE AN AMBASSADOR FOR PEACE, PEACE AND PEACE THAT THIS “MAD WORLD” NEEDS DESPERATELY.
    MAY GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU SAFE IN YOUR TRAVELS.
    EVEREST DSOUZA