September 15, 2006

Why Space?

Filed under: Personal Spaceflight — by Peter @ 4:28 am

Great blogs Anousheh! I know that your upcoming trip into Orbit is just the beginning. Together, the Ansari Family, X PRIZE, Space Adventures, ZERO-G, Rocket Racing League and many companies yet to come will give birth to a new industry that will allow millions to follow in your footsteps. It is only the beginning!

I spent today at MIT giving two keynotes about the Ansari X PRIZE and the future X PRIZEs. The students here are all looking forward to receiving your call from the space station next Friday the 22nd. MIT professor Jeff Hoffman (five-time Astronaut), a faculty member of the Man Vehicle Laboratory, is working to coordinate the event with Karina and choose the questions.

Early today I spoke to Charles Simonyi (Microsoft billionaire creator of Excel and Word) who is flying next spring on Soyuz through Space Adventures. He sends his very best and wishes you a safe journey. Turns out I called your old apartment in Moscow by mistake and he answered. He’s living there during his training at Star City.

He wants to ask you what he should plan to bring with him to Orbit… He mentioned that he has an amazing 10 kilogram allocation of personal effects. By the way, what personal items are you bringing with you orbit? Did you get a chance to bring along the X PRIZE flag and patches?

He also would appreciate knowing what kind of photographic equipment is up there on ISS… what equipment is operational, what lenses you have access to during your stay. He looks forward to seeing you when you come down to get the “scoop” on his upcoming trip.

Anousheh, what I believe most people don’t understand is why space is important. Why did we create the Ansari X PRIZE first? Why not an X PRIZE in some other field like poverty, medicine or energy, some of the next prizes we’re working on?

The future of humanity lies in space. As we continue to develop on Earth, we will need to reach out beyond this planet for resources. Space offers humanity infinite resources… the energy, metals, minerals and real estate we need to grow.

Space also offers us hope, hope for new tomorrows, for unknown discoveries, for growth, discovery and experimentation. It’s where we will spread the knowledge and seed of humanity… “back up the biosphere” as a friend Elon Musk likes to say. During our lifetime humanity will irreversibly move off the Earth into the cosmos.

These early steps that we “astropreneurs” are taking are critical. They are the equivalent of Lindbergh for aviation or Netscape for the internet.

Thank you Anousheh for investing and risking to make your (our) dreams come true!

Peter H. Diamandis (at MIT in Cambridge, MA)

1. Salam Anusheh

kheyli eftekhar mikonam ke yek iran hasti
    harfi ham baraye goftan nadaram
    fagat SAFAR BI KHATAR

[Hi Anousheh,
    I’m very proud that you are an Iranian. I have nothing to say, just wish you a safe trip]

Comment by Navid — September 15, 2006 @ 9:00 am

2. moments pass and the flying time arrives. It’s not the best time for arguing in this matters. let’s her fly and come back, then we can struggling…

Comment by ali aghidi — September 15, 2006 @ 9:07 am

3. Hi anousheh.
    Im so happy that you are Iranian and proud for this.
    I see your preview in 4 chanel in Tv Iran.
    good luck in your work.
    bye

Comment by Ehsan — September 15, 2006 @ 10:02 am

4. خانم انصاري سلام.
    براتون آرزو ميكنم كه موفق باشين تو سفرتون.
    خداحافظ

[Hi Ms Ansari
    Good luck with your trip. Bye]

Comment by Ehsan — September 15, 2006 @ 10:05 am

5. Hello dear Anousheh.
    We are iranians and muslims and we will be happy because of your sucsessfull projects. Namaz (Praying the god) is the simbol of 1.5 miliard muslims. for the human beings pray there and ask god for human kind and people`s peace. it will be better if you say it in the medias and television. in the space the side of Qibla is our mother land (THE EARTH).
    THANKS ALOT

Comment by Mohammad Nematollahian — September 15, 2006 @ 10:55 am

6. با سلام:
    از خوشحالی دارم میترکم.
    یه ایرانی
    یه همخون
    یه فارسی زبون میخواد بره فضا!
    چشمام ازین به بعد به آسمون نگاه میکنن تا شاید تورو ببینن.
    یه سری به وبلاگم بزن ونظر بده.این تنها آرزومه.بذار مثل تو به آرزوم برسم.
    موفق باشی.
    جاهد
    مشهد
    1385

Comment by جاهد ملک زاده — September 15, 2006 @ 11:08 am

7. Anousheh, I want to agree with and extend Peter’s words “thanking you for investing and risking to make y(our) dreams come true”. I say your drive and can-do spirit is firing up some young folks here in Africa to dream the unthinkable, reach the unreachable, believe the unbelievable, think the unimaginable, see the unseeable. As you journey to ISS, we hold onto your hands to reach beyond the present reality into posibility of reaching the stars and beyond.

Comment by Ola Abraham — September 15, 2006 @ 11:51 am

ایشالله سالم و صحیح برگردید
    اونجا عظمت خدا بیشتر نمود داره
    خداحافظ
    ـــــــــــــــــــــ
    لذت رو بر قفا رفتن چه می داند که چیست؟

هر که دل در حسرت برگشته مژگانی نداشت

Comment by صید در دام — September 15, 2006 @ 11:57 am

خیلی خوشحالم که میبینم اولین بانوی فضانورد هموطنم هست.
    اگه لطف کنید و یه وبلاگ هم به زبان فارسی راه اندازی کنید خیلی خوب میشه ، چون کاربرای فارسی زبان ( ایرانی – افغانی و تاجیک ) نیز بهتر با شما آشنا میشن

ببخشید که فارسی نوشتم ، چون نمیتونم خیلی خوب به زبان انگلیسی بنویسم.

امیدوارم به همه اهدافتون برسید.

موفق باشید

Comment by مسعود — September 15, 2006 @ 1:28 pm

10. yes thank you Anousheh
    موفق باشي و از فضا لذت ببري و بتوني نهايت استفده را از اين سفر هيجان انگيز ببري

Comment by nobody — September 15, 2006 @ 2:09 pm

11. hi
    i am a irani
    i very very glad to happened
    viva ansari
    we love you

Comment by fooman — September 15, 2006 @ 3:09 pm

حسين هستم 27 ساله از كرج
    خيلي خوشحالم
    حتمادر آي اس اس ارتباط تصويري با ايران داشته باش
    اينجا رو هم وقت كردي بخون
    اون بالا حتما به ايران سلام بدي چون ماداريم بهت سلام ميديم.
    خوش بگذره

[My name is Hossein and I’m 27 years old from Karadj. I’m very happy. Is it possible to have a video connection with you in ISS? If you have time, please read this
    From up there say hello to us, we’ll do that too. Have fun!]

Comment by Hossein Tahmasebi — September 15, 2006 @ 3:21 pm

13. On your birthday opportunities appear so that you can light you candle to serve something greater than yourself for another year. When you get into the emptiness of space you will see that the `space` inside of you is the same space as the space `out there`.
    May JOY be the vehicle to take you to far off worlds and bring you home with experience of the beauty you will see and experience
    Wishing happy tablodet moborak.

Comment by dr john — September 15, 2006 @ 4:06 pm

14. سلام خانوم انصاری امروز به سایتتون رفته بودم…دیدم قسمت فارسی رو هم به سایتتون اضافه کردین!
    خیلی مممنون
    به امید موفقیت شما
    تینا

[Hi Ms Ansari,
    I saw your web site and you’ve added a Persian section too. Thank you, Good luck, Tina]

Comment by تینا تیماج چی — September 15, 2006 @ 4:31 pm

15. Best Wishes for an exciting trip … and no somersaults for the first 48 hours! I’ll be sure to wave when the ISS passes overhead… it’s as bright as Venus with its newest solar arrays.

Ray Gedaly
    The Woodlands, Texas

Comment by Ray Gedaly — September 15, 2006 @ 7:03 pm

16. Hi Anoosheh
    I am trying to right a small biography.. were you born in Mash-had or Tehran🙂
    Thanks

Comment by doost shomaa — September 15, 2006 @ 7:31 pm

17. Hi Anoosheh
    we are all very proud of you.
    I am trying to right a small biography..
    1) Were you born in Mash-had or Tehran🙂
    2) What Highschool or school did you attend in Iran?
    3) Were you interested in Engineering when you were young?
    4) When did you come to the US?

Comment by doost shomaa — September 15, 2006 @ 7:32 pm

18. بالا بلند افکارتان بوسیدنی است
    آرزوی قلبی ام این است که امثال شما در ایران بتوانند از سکوی افتخار بالا بروند
    دیری نمی پاید یقین دارم
    خانم انصاری وجودتان مایه فخرمان است

[Dear…your ideas are precious. I wish to see people like you be honored in Iran. In a near future, I hope. Ms Ansari we are proud of you.]

Comment by sina — September 15, 2006 @ 8:00 pm

19. Is the ISS equipped with SIP?

Good luck on your journey!

Comment by ex-tti — September 15, 2006 @ 8:05 pm

20. Ola, you said it beautifully… I have traveled in Africa and found it to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I am planning to take photos of Africa and will post them on this site upon my return. I hope people of Africa get inspired by seeing these photos and be inspired to do just what you said.

dr. john, Thank you! This was a one of the most beautiful Birthday wishes I have received🙂

Comment by Anousheh — September 15, 2006 @ 8:21 pm

I’m maybe not the first of your former tti employees to post here, but we all know how much this trip means to you, and we’re all living vicariously through your experiences! I’ve said it before, but I’m thrilled to see you experience your dream, and to share this with my own kids, whom you’ve seen grow up. I keep telling Sean that I’ll visit him on Alpha Centauri someday, and you’re helping blaze the trail there.

From one Star Trek fan to another, MAKE IT SO.
    Pat, Sherryl, Sean, and Aidan Clay

Comment by Patrick Clay — September 15, 2006 @ 8:31 pm

22. Mrs. Ansari,
    As a teacher in an American high school, I had to put in my two cents and thank you for everything you are doing, and how inspirational you are to today’s young people.

I spend my time teaching an ancient and dead language, but I have also been near-obsessed with the space program since childhood, when I decided I had to know the reasoning behind space endeavors after watching the Challenger explode when I was 6 years old.

My field of study is one which often attracts self-professed “geeks,” “nerds,” and “dreamers.” Many of my students are fascinated by the idea of space travel, but until recently, until the winning of the X Prize, young people have seen space travel as “that stuff that was really important in the 1960’s.” It has been a real pleasure to watch young faces light up in space-related conversation, as young men, and especially young women, talk about you, Mrs. Ansari.

Thank you, for working to prove correct all of those who have said, “Space travel is not just science fiction.” Thank you, for proving correct all of those who have said over the years, “It is possible.”

Bless you.

Comment by Irina — September 15, 2006 @ 8:55 pm

23. به تو افتخار می کنیم. اون بالا بالا ها که رسیدی به خاطر بیاور که خیلی ها این پایین پایین ها به وجودت مباهات می کنند.
    امیدواریم همیشه صحیح و سلامت باشی.

[We are proud of you. when you are up, up there; remember us down, down here. We are proud of you. wish you health]

Comment by مهجاد — September 15, 2006 @ 11:30 pm

24. Mrs. Ansari,

I am American, and I am very excited about your flight. I wish you the best and many more.

I am a Type II diabetic, controlled with exercise and diet. I can run marathons, but I will never be allowed to go into space. So I will have to go in my heart with people like you.

Comment by Rob — September 16, 2006 @ 4:48 am

25. 🙂
    good!

Comment by NaZaNiN — September 16, 2006 @ 8:16 am

26. Hi,
    I was disappointed that you didn’t mention Gloria Estefan as one of your favorite singers! After all, your profile picture does look like her!

On a more serious note, would you announce the radio frequency you mentioned would be available while you fly over Iran?

Regards,
    Anoushirvan

Comment by Anoushirvan — September 16, 2006 @ 1:29 pm

Best wishes on your expedition; I hope it is everything you have wished for. You are making a massive commitment to opening the space frontier for everyone. Public space travel is an enabling and even ennobling venture. Spaceport Associates salutes you. With the success of public space travel will come new, safer, better and cheaper ways to get into space. Ultimately it will be more like taking an airline flight or a cruise trip, and this will bring enormous benefits to the human race. Ad astra! Derek Webber, Spaceport Associates

Comment by Derek Webber — September 16, 2006 @ 3:25 pm

Whenever i think about what you said “By reaching this dream I’ve had since childhood, I hope to tangibly demonstrate to young people all over the world that there is no limit to what they can accomplish” it motivates me to work, to study, to learn, to live… it keeps me walk strong toward unknowns.

I am proud of you and do believe in you..

You know that “YOU CAN WIN, IF YOU WANT” I say Anousheh won, so do I.

I read all the stories and news about you and know a little bit about your ideology, I like the way you look into the future.

“Space is for our children and children’s’ children” we should look to that day. To a day that my grandson for weekend wants to go to Mars to hangout with his girlfriend!

This is the first post of mine in your blog, but I have been reading all comments of you and others..

I am as excited as you, and want to let you know that there are lots of hearts beating for you and looking forward to Anousheh comes back safe and sound.

Best Wishes
    سربلند باشی و پایدار
    خیلی دوستت داریم

Vahid

Comment by Vahid Farahani — September 16, 2006 @ 3:49 pm

Peter has gotten the MIT campus so excited about this call that I can barely keep up with the requests to attend! As students and future space entrepreneurs, this will undoubtedly be one of the most intoxicating events we will experience.

MIT is thrilled and honored to be a part of this.

Safe travels,
    Karina

Comment by Karina — September 16, 2006 @ 8:01 pm

30. خدا دوستدار آشناست
    خانم انصاری سلام برای شما آرزوی موفقیت وسر بلندی دارم واز خداوندبرای شما عاقبت بخیری سعادت وخوشبختی ورسیدن به رویاهایتان را خواهانم
    خوشحالم که جز افرادی هستیدکه باعث سربلندی این سرزمین پاک وبزرگ از هر نظر شده اید سفر بی مخاطراه ای را برای شما آرزو می کنم
    به امید شنیدن موفقیت های بعدی شما

Comment by مجیدحاتمی — September 16, 2006 @ 10:53 pm

31. salam khanume ansarie aziz
    un bala rafti soghati yadet narehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    ma chashm entezar hastim ta shoma bargardin.tanha kari ke ma dar haghe shoma mitunim bokonim ine ke baratun doaa bokonim ke be salamat bargardin
    ya ali,khoda hafeze shoma

[Hi dear Ms Ansari

don’t forget to bring somthing from space! we’re waiting for your return. the only thing we can do is to pray.have a safe trip. good bye]

Comment by M.Javad Mohiti — September 17, 2006 @ 4:58 am

32. Anoushe, you’re definitely a “babe”. A Fearless,adventurous Iranian woman who boldly goes where no Iranain man has gone before. I’d wish I could’ve passed the barf-bag test(to become an astronaut) and you were single, so I could rendevous you in space…Break a leg home-girl and may the force be with you.

Huge hug from Iran.
    Jalal the fan

Comment by Jalal — September 17, 2006 @ 6:58 am

33. Comment by Test — September 17, 2006 @ 9:14 am

34. Hi Ms Ansari.
    i’m very glad for your success.
    and i’m hopeful that your trip HELP to all of humans in this world whether poor or wealthy.
    AND i’m very happy that this honor is for an Iranian Woman.
    and i wish that God help you in all of your life. .and with all of my emotion will see your flight .
    ====================
    salam Khanoome Ansari
    man kheyli khoshhalam baraye movafaghiyate shoma.
    va omidvaram safare shoma be hameye ensanhaye donya komak kone che faghir va che servatmand.
    va kheyli khoshhalam ke in eftekhare baraye yek zane IRANI hast .
    va arezoo mikonam ke khoda be shoam dar tamame zendegitun komak kone .va ba tamame ehsasatam parvaze shoma ro khaham did.

***Erfan-zangeneh from Hamedan.***

Comment by Erfan-Zangeneh — September 17, 2006 @ 11:42 am

35. beh shoma eftekhar mi konam

Comment by mahdi — September 17, 2006 @ 9:00 pm

36. khanome ansari,

safare khubi ra barayetan arezumandam. man be shoma ghebte mikhoram chon ke inham arezuye man az kudaki bude ke be faza berawam.

man be shoma eftekhar mikonam.

Comment by Afshin az Alman — September 17, 2006 @ 9:35 pm

It was nice to see a women flying down the space. It just reminds me of “If there is a will there’s a way”
    Happpy Flying

Raman

Comment by Raman — September 17, 2006 @ 11:50 pm

38. I am an MIT student and saw the talk by Peter last week. It was extremely inspirational for future space entrepreneurs and I hope to attend the call on campus as well.

All the best,
    Chuck

Comment by Chuck — September 17, 2006 @ 11:52 pm

39. Anousheh, congratulatulations to you and Hamid on your personal acheviments.

Gene Johnston
    Grapevine, Tx

Comment by Gene Johnston — September 18, 2006 @ 4:20 am

Bravo !
    You have dared to dream and had the will to realize it…!
    Congratulations once again !
    Have a safe return trip.
    Ather Ahmed

Comment by Ather Ahmed — September 19, 2006 @ 2:15 pm

41. Dear Anousheh…
    You are the beacon…Keep on shining….Congratulations to you for realizing your dreams…
    Iram Sabri
    Riyadh ,Saudi Arabia

Comment by Iram Sabri — September 19, 2006 @ 2:22 pm

42. Anoosheye aziz az inke baes shodi bare digar nameh keshvare azizemoon zabanzad shavad va az inke yek zane movafagh hasti besyar khoshhalam va barayat arezooye behtarinha rodaram.

Comment by good life for all Iranian — September 30, 2006 @ 11:19 am