September 17, 2006

Launch -8 Hours

Filed under: Personal Spaceflight — by Peter @ 10:23 pm

Anousheh thanks for sharing your feelings on launch day. I can’t imagine you could possibly go to sleep today! I remember reading in Charles Lindbergh’s autobiography about the difficulty he faced the evening of May 19th, 1927, knowing that he would make a trans-Atlantic one-person journey the next morning. As I sit at home in Los Angeles, on the other side of the planet, at L-8 hours, I have to admit I’m nervous. I wish I could be there.

I guess that I and everyone else can take comfort in the amazing success record of the Soyuz, and the hundreds of people in mission control watching the vehicle’s systems.

For those who don’t know, the Soyuz is an amazing vehicle. The first manned Soyuz capsule flight carried a human to space in April 1967. Since then more than 220 vehicles have been built and flown with more than 100 cosmonauts on a variety of missions. Today, Soyuz is the longest serving manned spacecraft in the world. More information on the booster and spacecraft can be seen at Wikipedia

I can’t wait to see Anousheh again. I guess that will take place on October 4th (the 2nd anniversary of SpaceShipOne’s Ansari X PRIZE-winning flight) in Washington, DC. On that day we’re going to announce our next X PRIZE.

Anousheh, thank you for telling folks about the X PRIZE Cup. We’re really hoping that people will come from around the U.S. and the world to join us in person in Las Cruces, NM. Tickets to attend are only $10. Tickets are available for sale here. Our vision is to create the America’s Cup or Grand Prix of space, a place that families come to see the next generation of rockets fly, sit inside the capsules, meet the astronauts and eventually buy tickets for their own journeys into space.

I remember in 2002, when I first met you Anousheh, and you stepped up to funding the Ansari X PRIZE, one of my promises to you was to help you reach your goal of traveling into space. Frankly I never imagined it would happen so soon!

One of my favorite stories is The Man Who Sold the Moon by Robert Heinlein. The story is about a man named D. D. Harriman whose dream and passion is to travel to the Moon. He spends years working, risking all of his money to make this dream real. He himself plans to make the trip as part of the crew. Unfortunately in the end, he can not go because of the weight restrictions, and instead has to watch the rocket launch without him. A small part of me feels like D.D. Harriman, watching as Anousheh launches. I know I’ll get a chance to go eventually, I guess when I can afford it (!) — or when X PRIZE-class vehicles drop the price down so we can all get a chance to fly.

Until then, I’ll be down on the ground, here in LA, cheering “Go Anousheh Go! Gods speed and safe journey!”

— Peter

1. What a great adventure! May God watch over you and guide you.

Warm regards,

Watts

Comment by Watts Rozell — September 17, 2006 @ 10:52 pm

2. You are an inspiration to every human on the planet. Love, and a successful, safe return to you.
    Duffy
    Cape Canaveral, FLA, USA

Comment by PW Duffy — September 17, 2006 @ 10:56 pm

3. سلام خانم انصارئ الان كه من دارم اين رو مئ نويسم فقط 5 ساعت به پرتاب شما مونده فقط خواستم بدونيد كه من تا صبح بيدارم كه از طريق تلويزيون پرتاب شما رو شاهد باشم براتون هم ارزوئ موفقيعت دارم حامد ترحيب از تبريز

Comment by حامد — September 17, 2006 @ 11:15 pm

4. Wishing you good luck from Ireland, the X prize was fantastic showing the world that people can do better then anything when put to the challenge. Humans love competition, I want to put together a series of competitions to save the environment of the plannet for us humans to continue to survive here, would love some help with organising it.
    I have always been facinated by space. As you look down at the plannet you will see we are all together, all one race, one world we should and can work together to reach new frontiers. You have gone boldly where no woman has gone before!

Wishing you, your family and crew every happiness

-Donal

Comment by Donal O'Riordain — September 17, 2006 @ 11:25 pm

5. anoushah. we cannot imagine the anticipation. the videos on cnn.com are wonderful.

it is an honor and privilege to watch you succeed. june & lee

see you tonight…

Comment by lee stein — September 17, 2006 @ 11:25 pm

6. Good luck Anousheh

Comment by fereshteh — September 17, 2006 @ 11:31 pm

7. Not so far are those days in which, along a shore, I was looking at the sky as You, young Ansari, wondering ‘Are they looking at me, as well?’. I still have no answer, my friend, but I make them now speak and act in my stories, in my fantasies. There, those wonderful creatures, so similar to mankind and so different, talk to me about their world, their lives, their own stories, their fears, there hopes: and with no surprise I recognize in their words our own. Because, wherever we can be born we ALL speak the same language. So, young Ansari, when tomorrow you’ll be free and weightless, look at the stars again and at the Earth. Not so far are those days in which we’ll be no more alone in the universe.

Give my greetings to the Universe, my young🙂

Giulio Severini – Rome, Italy.

Comment by Boy Starlight — September 17, 2006 @ 11:48 pm

8. I seen you yesterday Anousheh, on my Italian network television.
    I have your same age but male from Florence and I wish you good
    luck.You have change my opinion about society woman’ role because we get equal potential.

Comment by GIANNI — September 18, 2006 @ 12:13 am

My name is Arash Toudeshki. I am a military attache programer. and I study in Master of Elecrical Eng., now. I work in intelligence control systems projects.
    I say special thanks for your live interview was aired from Channel 4 of Iran national TV.
    Some are born great and some achieve greatness. You , women can also achieve in activites monopolized by men.
    I wish a successful misson for you.

Comment by Arash Toudeshki — September 18, 2006 @ 12:15 am

I wanted you to know that you are an inspiration to men and women. As a woman who believes you should live life with your heart and a firm believer in making your dreams come true, I want to wish you the very best, and hope this will be an amazing experience for you.

My prayers are with you, and I look forward to your safe return.

Best wishes and love,
    Saloumeh

Comment by Saloumeh Rasouli — September 18, 2006 @ 1:20 am

11. where can we watch a live take offfffffffffff

Comment by ronak — September 18, 2006 @ 1:22 am

12. Ciao Anousheh! scrivo dall’Italia.
    Ti faccio gli auguri, divertiti anche per mè! galleggiare nello spazio e fare il giro della terra 16 volte al giorno deve essere una bella emozione ma ancora di più vederla da quella distanza.
    Ciao.

Comment by lorenzo brudicchio — September 18, 2006 @ 2:41 am

13. You are inspiring more than women, Anousheh, you are inspiring
    me as well! I found out about your trip when I called SPACE
    ADVENTURES, as I surfed their website. I called out of curiousity, and they gave me a price of 20 mill for a orbit, and an extra 11 mill for a spacewalk! They said they were sending someone up Monday. I had no idea who it was till I heard about you over the week-end! God bless you, as you take the most exciting adventure of your life tomorrow night!

Comment by scott kuzminski — September 18, 2006 @ 3:11 am

14. i’m a malaysian..ms anousheh, i think u’re aware that we’re sending someone to space too..i’m truly inspired by your story,a woman with lots and determination and courage to achieve her dream! as a female i’m really proud of u..and i hope u’ll come back safe and visit malaysia one day..insyaallah

love and peace,
    Fadzilah
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Comment by Fadzilah — September 18, 2006 @ 3:17 am

15. Good luck. Wishing you all the best!

Comment by Bruce — September 18, 2006 @ 3:57 am

16. Dear Anoosheh,

we were with you minute by minute. come back safe. we are proud of you girl. you brought tears to our eyes…

10 minutes to your launch,
    Farhood va Solmaz
    Canada

Comment by Farhood — September 18, 2006 @ 3:58 am

17. My wife and I were there at Edwards AFB to watch you award the X-Prize, and your grace and style were infectious to the crowd. Thanks for all you’ve done, and thanks for all you are going to do!
    Godspeed, and show them that women really do know how to fly!

Comment by Rich — September 18, 2006 @ 4:21 am

18. You go IRAN DOKHT, We’re all proud of you and wish you a safe return.

Comment by Farhang — September 18, 2006 @ 4:24 am

I am watching launch!! it is so cool!! My God Bless you and I will prayer for you to back safe on earth, you are clever woman!!

Good Luck

Warmly,
    Reza

Comment by Reza Wahadj — September 18, 2006 @ 4:43 am

20. hello missis anoushe ansary and congradulations.
    i am ali (M.Sc. of mechanical engineering from sharif university of technology).the space is situated in my nostalgia.
    it is a site for the soul to look closer after darling god.
    god speed you.

Comment by ali — September 18, 2006 @ 5:24 am

21. Dear Anoushe:
    I was so glad when I heard that the first Iranian astronut is a woman.all of Iranian are talking about you couse you let your dream come true ..
    I hope that you will have a fantastic trip to space
    best wishes

Comment by pegah — September 18, 2006 @ 9:21 am

You bring your smile and peace to all of us here in Atlanta. I hope you get more publicity than other events. God bless you and safe return. Can you say hello to the world for us. All the best.

Comment by Alfred — September 18, 2006 @ 11:50 am

23. انوشه عزيز

خدا تو )ايراندخت(را سالم سرافراز پيروز
    و تا ابد ايراني بدارد

آغوش ميهن در انتظار شماست

خواهشمند پاسخ

Comment by علي از اصفهان 1385 /06/27 — September 18, 2006 @ 6:04 pm

24. khanoome ansari salam :
    az nazare man dpnyaee ke ma dar an zendegi mikonim shabih be yek meydane asb savari ast ba hameye tashkilat. afrade ziadi hastand manande ghomar bazha/belit foroosh ha/morabi ha/kif ghap ha/mosabeghe dahande ha/tamasha gar ha va asheghani ke hich gah be an naresidand va … dar in meydane mosabeghe har kas be nahvi mashghool ast masalan tamashagar negah mikonad morabi nasihat mikonad va soodjooyan be donbale sood az har rahi hastand.dar in makan hame be fekr ahdafe koochakand vali yek nafar manande shoma be yek hadafe bozorg minegarad.shoma ba anke dar ebteda yek tamashagar boodehid ba risk kardan va khatar kardan haye be moghe az maghame tamasha gari be maghame mosabeghe dahandegi va dar payan be maghame gozar az khat be onvane nafare avval residid. man yaghin daram ke shoma midanid mayadine bozorgtari dar entezare shomast .pas man ham dar entezare movafaghiat haye shoma khaham bood . doostdare shoma mohsen_pooraria@yahoo.com.

Comment by mohsen pooraria — September 19, 2006 @ 8:47 am

خیلی خوشحالم که به آرزوت رسیدی
    برا منم دعا کن به آرزوم برسم
    امیدوارم همیشه در زندگی موفق باشی
    الهام
    از همدان

Comment by elham — September 19, 2006 @ 9:07 am

26. Anoushe as a young iranian girl i`m so proud of u and wish u the besttttttttttttt we all love u ,u r really an inspiration to everyone wish u the best.

Comment by sara — September 19, 2006 @ 8:47 pm

27. ba salam mojaddad be shoma khanoome ansari mikhastam ke be shoma begam az moghei ke az karhaye bozorge shoma ashna shodam shoma ro be onvane yek olgooye monaseb entekhab kardam va zamane dars khandane man afzayesh yafte ast man alagheye shadidi be pezeshki daram va arezoo daram yek rooz dar hali ke be arezooye khodam residam ba shoma molaghat dashte basham be omide didar doostdare shmo [received]

Comment by mohsen pooraria — September 19, 2006 @ 9:09 pm

28. خانم انصاري من به عنوان يك دختر ايراني كه در جامعه اي زندگي ميكند كه اكثر زنان در آن به خود اجازه ي پرواز روياهايشان به دوردست را نميدهند شما را تحسين ميكنم و اميد وارم روزي برسد كه در آن هيچ رويايي غير ممكن به نظر نرسد.

Comment by فائزه ديرمينا — September 22, 2006 @ 2:25 pm

29. hello Anousheh…
    I am so excited for you and your adventure …
    I’ve always wanted to go to space but it’s so expensive; maybe one day it will be more realistic; I was reading your blog and one of my favorite things is when you said how much you wish humanity could see the world as one; especially our leaders … just seeing the planet from space pictures is amazing; how can we divide and ruin something so beautiful ? Anyways, I’m half Persian and that makes me even more proud of you … Have a wonderful time for the rest of us … May A.

Comment by may — September 23, 2006 @ 4:15 am

30. khanoome ansari salam man va baradaram ke yek setare shenase amatore 3 bar gozare zibaye iss ro ke ba ehsase eghamate shoma dar oonja zibaeesh chand barabar shode bood tamasha kardim 4 ta aks gereftim ke be soorate khatti va noghtei boodan kheili doost daram ke in aks ha ro baraye shoma beferestam agar mikhahid aksi az gozare iss dar hozoore shoma dar oonja az asemoone shomal iran dashte bashid be man khabar bedid [received] kheili khosh hal misham az in ke baraye shoma minevisam.

Comment by mohsen pooraria — September 24, 2006 @ 1:48 pm