September 18, 2006

Launch -30 minutes

Filed under: Personal Spaceflight — by X PRIZE @ 3:36 am

At L-3 hours, in a small room, Anousheh and Expedition 14 crew members Astronaut Michael Lopez-Alegria and Cosmonaut Mikhail Tyurin are being suited up in their Sokol spacesuits. Once inside the special form-fitting pressure suit, they are asked to sit in a duplicate of the seat that they will sit in during their ascent to orbit. I’ve had the chance to sit in a Soyuz launch seat once while touring Star City. It is extremely cramped, your knees pulled close-up into your chest. I’m sure getting out of the suit is very much a relief once you reach orbit.

I’ve been watching Anousheh’s preparation non-stop on NASA TV, both on the web and on Direct TV. She’s all smiles, having a blast, laughing, throwing kisses and waves to her family. Across the room through a glass window you can see the crowd of visitors and press watching the final preparation. Anousheh’s husband Hamid, and her sister Atousa are watching and waving. Also in the front row is Rex Geveden, the senior NASA representative.

After about an hour of suiting up, the three cosmonauts are seated in front of the glass window to face their friends, family, and the media – once last chance to say thank you and goodbye. The head of the Russian Space Commission has just arrived on the “public side” of the window and informed the Cosmonauts that the Shuttle has completed its activities on orbit and is now ready to undock, making ready for the Soyuz to launch.

A few minutes later, the three cosmonauts have walked out the pre-flight integration facility and into the bus that will carry them to the Soyuz Booster. Anousheh is the first to get onboard. Her smile is wider than ever! She looks happy, confident and doesn’t look scared in the least!

Onward to the Stars!

— Peter

1. How very exciting! I found this blog and as I was reading, realized the expedition was launching right now. So here I am in Dallas, watching Nasa TV and reading your posts as they are published. Thank you so much for keeping us up-to-date. It is so very thrilling!

Comment by conej — September 18, 2006 @ 3:59 am

2. peter. your posts have been great. thank you for your leadership…./ june and lee

Comment by june and lee — September 18, 2006 @ 4:08 am

3. سلام . الان کمتر از 3 دقیقه به برواز شما باقی مونده . از دیشب تا حالا نخوابیدم . دلهره عجیبی دارم . شاید خنده دار باشه ولی یه حس عجیبی دارم . یه جورایی حس میکنم خودم میخوام پرواز کنم !
    به هر حال خیلی خوشحالم ، خیلی
    امیدوارم در پناه آقا امام زمان (عج) به سلامت برید و برگردید
    هم اکنون فضا پیمای شما پرتاب شد و تصویر شما رو به صورت زنده از شبکه جهانی جام جم دیدم و کلي گريه کردم
    شاید وقتی این پیام من را میخوانید در فضا باشید ! به هر حال تا 10 روز دیگه منتظر شما میمانیم .
    یا علی التماس دعا

[ less than 3 minutes left to your launch,i didn’t sleep last night. I have a strange feeling. anxiety and joy! it’s like i want to fly. I wish you a safe trip. I saw your launch from Jam-e Jam international, and I cried a lot. i think you will read this when you are actually in space. I’ll wait for you these 10 days.please pray for me..]

Comment by Sajad Madani — September 18, 2006 @ 4:18 am

امیدوارم موفق باشید دیدن و آشنایی عزیزی که تلاش میکند بسیار لذتبخش است از هر جای عالم که باشد و خوشحالترم میشوم آن هنگام که آن عزیز هموطن و بخصوص همشهری هم باشد
    موفقیت روزافزون شما را در خدمت به مردم از خدا خواستارم

[Hi, good luck. it’s very pleasant to see people trying hard to achieve what they want espacially if it is a citizen doing that. I wish you success.]

Comment by vahid — September 18, 2006 @ 4:27 am

5. Best luck on her trip!

Comment by Amir — September 18, 2006 @ 4:37 am

6. […] Who knew doing a little homework for the emac class could become so very engaging, mixing up all the media – tv, online blogs and CNN videos! […]

Pingback by man! talk about synchroncity! « emac3326 — September 18, 2006 @ 4:45 am

7. Yes yes! You made it to space!! You’ve achieved your dream Anousheh!!

I’ve gathered my family around the TV in my Los Angeles home to watch the coverage of the mission. I’ve instructed everybody about who Anousheh was and I got everyone excited about watching with me. Anousheh looked great, relaxed and confident, the launch was spectacular as every launch to space, everytime I watch one I get amazed, I don’t get used to it. It was very smooth. I knew she was going to be just fine. I feel so emotional about her being there, I try to imagine a little what it must be for her to be doing this and it thrills me so much! Congratulations and thank you Anousheh! One day soon my turn will come too…

I’ll keep following your trip very closely, I hope to meet you at the X Prize Cup!
    Love,
    Maria Entraigues (prospective Space Adventures traveller)

Comment by Maria Entraigues (prospective Space Adventures traveller) — September 18, 2006 @ 5:08 am

8. ROCK ON!! You’ve made it… Wow – what a thrill this is for all of us… Regardless of our backgrounds – we all have one thing in common. WE ARE INCREDIBLY PROUD OF YOU !!

Comment by Al — September 18, 2006 @ 5:59 am

9. SALAM ANOSHE JAN OMIDVARAM HAMISHE SARBOLAND BASHI MESLE EMROUZ KE EFTEKHARE IRANIAN HASTI BE KHODEMAN MIBALIM KE BA VOJOODE IN HAME MOSHKELAT VA MAHDOODIATHA SHOMA BE ONVANE YEK ZANE BARAZANDEYE NEJADE KOROSH PAY DAR ARSEYE FAZA MIGOZARID SHOMA BARAZANDETARIN KHANOOME IRANI HASTID BASHAD KE ROOZI DAR IRAN BARAYETAN JASHN BEGIRIM VA BE EFTEKHAREMAN BEBALIM

Comment by reza — September 18, 2006 @ 7:34 am

10. Good luck, I will be watching your progress with great interest and sending you warm wishes.

You are an inspiration to all, but especially to women like me who were told that space was for boys when we were growing up… I wish I had pushed harder to be allowed to learn instead of being sent of to cook!

Keep pushing those boundaries🙂

Hugs
    Debbie x

Comment by Debbie Keir — September 18, 2006 @ 8:07 am

11. Nice weblog!

would you send me a postcard from up there? Thanks!😛

Comment by Alvarion — September 18, 2006 @ 10:10 am

12. با سلام
    آروزي موفقيت بيشتر را براي شما خواستاريم
    مرادي- كرمانشاه

[hi, wish you more success…. Moradi, kermanshah]

Comment by مرادي — September 18, 2006 @ 1:32 pm

13. Congratulation! All of us at The Kennedy Space center are very happy for you. Have a great flight and keep letting us know of your feelings.

Perhaps you could come to KSC after your flight for a “show and tell” of your flight.

David

Comment by David Henson — September 18, 2006 @ 1:48 pm

14. Congratulations!!

Comment by video — September 18, 2006 @ 1:55 pm

You made me cry when I saw you as the first Iranian lady among all women on the earth who achieved not only a lot of success but also a very special one. I am not able to express my feelings very well. The only word that I can say is that “I am so proud of you”.Congratulations!
    Best Regards,
    Maryam

Comment by Maryam — September 18, 2006 @ 2:20 pm

16. It is great to see and hear that an Iranian comes up in the positive side of the news!
    Vaghean Damet GARM! [ bravo!]
    What made me more proud was to see that you wear the Green, White an Red flag with you out into the orbit.
    Have a safe trip.

Comment by Mehran N — September 18, 2006 @ 3:09 pm

17. باسلام و آرزوی موفقیت برای شما من به عنوان ایرانی به شما افتخار می کنم امیدوارم صحیح وسالم برگردید.

[Hi, wish you success. I’m really proud of you. have a safe trip.]

Comment by naeim — September 18, 2006 @ 3:54 pm

18. I wish you and every crew member in this trip good luck. I is nice to see a member of Iranian/Amercian community in the space.
    go anooshe.

Mohammad, Dallas, Texas

Comment by Mohammad Ahmadi — September 18, 2006 @ 4:41 pm

19. با سلام و عرض خسته نباشید ؟ ار سفر یک ایرانی به فضا بسیار خوشحالم و امیدوارم به کمک برنامه یه خصوصی سازی شما بتوانم هزینه یه سفر به فضا را جم آوری کرده و به فضا بروم.منتظرم تا زمان آن برسد.با تشکر و فرستادن این پیام که حامل بهترین آرزوهاست.bye for now😀

Comment by Mohammad Reza ( Zanjan-Iran) — September 18, 2006 @ 5:18 pm

20. كار ما نيست شناسايي راز گل سرخ
    كار ما شايد اين است كه در افسون گل سرخ شناور باشيم

به اميد روزي كه سفر با آلفا قنطورس 4 انجام بشه.

Comment by ققنوس — September 18, 2006 @ 5:37 pm

21. Si de alguna manera vuestro viaje es un aporte a la paz en el mundo: bienvenida sea al espacio.

Comment by Erick Herlitz — September 18, 2006 @ 6:00 pm

22. با سلام و عرض خسته نباشيد :امروز صبح كه تصاوير شما و هنگام پرتاب سفينه ميديدم اشك شوق وحس افتخار عجيبي داشتم اميدوارم كه هميشه در جمع اولين ها باشد
    اگراين پيام را در فضا مطالعه كرديد وامكان دارد از فضا منتظر
    شمااز فضا هستم email

[ hi, I saw your launch this morning and I was both happy and proud.I wish you’ll be the first in everything. If you read this mail when you’re in space please write me back from there]

Comment by seyed hossein seyed hanaei — September 18, 2006 @ 8:08 pm

23. Very exciting!
    As an American/ Iranian, I am very proud of you and wish you all the best. Thanks for showing we are capable of!
    Regards🙂

Comment by Ali — September 18, 2006 @ 8:23 pm

24. Best wishes for a safe and exciting journey. We are all proud of you and hope to see you when you are back.

Ali Parsa
    Member, Board of Trusties
    Zirakzadeh Science Foundation
    Tehran, Iran

Comment by Ali Parsa — September 18, 2006 @ 9:55 pm

25. Anousheh khanoome gole golab
    wow!!!!!!!!
    Vaghean baese eftekhare mane be onvane yek Irani ke khanoomy mesle shoma az keshvaremoon hamishe Iran be faza mirin va in neshoon mide ke shoma ba zekavat va zahmate faravan be in daraje az eftekhar residin. Vaghean nemitoonam begam chaghadr be vojoode iraniani mesle shoma eftekhar mikonam va vaghean tamame rooz ro ba ghamate rast rah raftam va hamash mikhastam jelo mardomo too khiaboon begiram va daad bezanam ke : Bebinin hey poz midin hamatoon! Ki avalin khanoome fazanavarde movafagh dar donyast? Maloome yek shah banooye iraniye asil va hame jatoon besooze ke ishoon irooniye!Pas chi!!!!!!!!
    Baba dast marizad abji Anoushe……khake patam hesabi rooye hamaye iroonia ro sefid kardi va dar in donyayi ke ma irania be nazare kheily gharbia shodim khake zire paa be khatere regime maghable tarikhi ke dar Iran nesheste roo manbar neshoon dadi ke na baba in khabarha nist va hanooz ke hanooze Irooni yani movafaghiyat va irani yani eftekhar!
    dastetoo miboosam va lope hamsare moftakhare shoma ro ham hamintor Muahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Wow ke sarehalam hesabi Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Sia Danmark — September 18, 2006 @ 11:00 pm

26. What an honor to be born in the same country that you are from .From today I will keep my head higher and feel proud because of you.Thank you.

Comment by Houtan — September 18, 2006 @ 11:14 pm

27. hi ,mrs Asari.i don’t know how can i express my feeling ,just be successful and have nice trip.

Comment by masoud sarabi — September 18, 2006 @ 11:23 pm