September 20, 2006

Docking Successful

Filed under: Personal Spaceflight — by X PRIZE @ 5:26 am

Vostok’s smooth and uneventful docking confirmed.

New residents have arrived at the International Space Station.

Vostok is now just one kilometer away from the International Space Station (ISS) and closing at a rate of 2 meters/second. Then it does a “fly around” and positions itself to dock to the Svesda Service Module on ISS. This docking port was occupied yesterday by the Progress 21 cargo craft.

It’s relatively busy in orbit around the Earth right now… with a crew on ISS, a crew on Soyuz TMA-9 and a crew on the Space Shuttle on the way home, there are 12 people on orbit. I look forward to the day when there are hundreds of human carrying spaceships in orbit, not just three.

Friends at Star City send reports that Anousheh is doing well, but recovering from an initial bout of space motion sickness. Space Motion Sickness hits about 40 percent of the astronauts who enter space. A quick injection of intramuscular phenergan can usually help. I’ve had the pleasure of flying Anousheh on two different occasions in parabolic flight with Zero-Gravity Corporation. She did amazingly well without any problems.

I bet Anousheh is looking out the window and can’t wait to open the hatch to visit her new home! The docking is being carried by NASA TV and the hatch opening ceremonies should take place at about 1:10am PDT / 4:10am EDT.

The NASA TV channel is now showing a beautiful view of the ISS with the Earth in the background. The view is coming from the Soyuz camera. In the middle of the image is a set of cross-hairs. The Soyuz is now at 10 meters and closing. Flight controllers are standing by for contact and capture of the ISS.

We have contact! Docking confirmed at 12:21 am CT, 9:21 am Moscow time! I bet Anousheh is happy!

The next step is the retraction of the docking probe, and a hard docking between the two vehicles to provide a tight seal.

Now we’ll have to wait for 3 hours of leak checks and system checks before the hatch is opened… then Anousheh will get nine days onboard the ISS to float around and share with us her adventures in orbit!

Peter H. Diamandis (at home in LA)

You have joined the ranks of the esteemed
    space pioneers of our great international past
    as this world’s first woman space explorer.

What a fabulously poignant and profound
    moment for you, the crew, and for the
    citizens of Iran, who can now say the first
    person born on their soil to reach
    the cosmos, was a strong, successful, woman!

You have made the world proud and I can’t wait to hear your
    comments at the X Cup this year!

Godspeed!

Comment by Andy Motherway — September 20, 2006 @ 5:52 am

2. Woo Hoo!

This is such an amazing moment in history. Space travel is the domain of everyone on planet Earth, not just an elite few. The time is coming when orbital travel will be nearly as common as transoceanic air travel. Congratulations to Anousheh Ansari and the entire ISS crew!

Comment by Samuel Coniglio — September 20, 2006 @ 7:00 am

Soon you will fulfill your dream to see the Earth as a blue globe shining in the dark. Please remember what you said before leaving, that humanity should “realize how small and fragile it is compared to the rest of the Universe” and that it should “give us a better sense of responsibility”. Please repeat this very important message. The first woman in space Valentina Tereshkova said the same thing. Work well up there !

C’était un pur bonheur de vous voir si joyeuse derrière cette vitre pendant la vérification des scaphandres avec Mikhaïl et Michael, eux aussi heureux, et votre famille de l’autre côté. Gardez votre fraîcheur, pratiquez votre français et continuez d’apprendre le russe ! Bon travail là-haut.

Comment by Ursula — September 20, 2006 @ 7:04 am

4. Congratulations Anousheh jan…Mission Accomplished!

Grand Dreamer….Keep our dreams alive up there🙂
    Ansari in Farsi = Yaran = Friends/Helpers
    We’re cheering on in San Diego.
    Love,
    Neda Ansari Ghopeh

Comment by Neda Ansari Ghopeh — September 20, 2006 @ 7:05 am

5. سلام به شما
    حال شما
    خوبین شما
    به امید موفقعیت شما

Comment by barbod — September 20, 2006 @ 7:22 am

6. salam anousheh aziz
    man yek roznamenegar irani hastam ke be shojaat to eftekhar mikonam.
    ba man tamas begir

Comment by amir — September 20, 2006 @ 7:47 am

7. congrats.

Comment by kcbhatt — September 20, 2006 @ 7:48 am

8. Dear Anousheh, I so excited when see Docking process on Nasa TV. Have great time Persianstar. I try to report time by time on my website http://www.persianstar.com for iranian.
    Take Care
    Akbar Nemati

Comment by Akbar Nemati — September 20, 2006 @ 7:52 am

9. سلام انوشه جان
    سلام خوشحالم كه داري به سلامت ميرسي و همه چيز مرتبه منتظر خبرهاي خوش هستيم
    محمد-تهران

Comment by محمد — September 20, 2006 @ 8:01 am

We are all proud of you. You have created history.
    How does it feel to look down at earth from universe?

Comment by harekrishnaji — September 20, 2006 @ 8:08 am

11. Congrat!!!!

I’m glad to hear that the docking was successful and soon the ceremony to welcome Anousheh will be done! Good Luck!

Comment by Farhad — September 20, 2006 @ 8:13 am

12. my dear anoushe
    I am very happy for your space travel because you are iranian

Comment by shari — September 20, 2006 @ 8:31 am

13. hooooray

انوشا وارد استگاه شد من بطور زنده دیدم ، خیلی خوشحالم ، تبریک

Comment by sadeq — September 20, 2006 @ 8:44 am

Many congartulations to you and your family. I envy the sense you will have when looking at our small globe and the time you feel how small human beings are in the big and still misterious universe. I cannot imagin how fabulous it will be. All women in the world must be proud of you. Good luck with the voyage.

Comment by Ehsan Ghasemi — September 20, 2006 @ 8:49 am

15. where are the pictures at ??? doesnt ansari get some kinda link to earth in which she can send pictures of space(that she has taken) and get them uploaded to her website?? please clarify

Comment by mohammad — September 20, 2006 @ 10:50 am

16. congrats🙂 i hope your time in space is beautiful and all that you want it to be. as a chemical engineer, it’s always excellent to see a woman in space and furthering our cause in the scientific world. stay safe and enjoy your trip.

Comment by kim — September 20, 2006 @ 11:24 am

17. Welcome in ISS!

And for every blog writers!
    We are watching on same blog in same time.
    We are able to send the comments for Anousheh, Peter, and Space activists of Space Tourism.

Thank you for Peter and X-Prize menbers!

Toshi

Comment by Toshiki Hasegawa — September 20, 2006 @ 11:26 am

18. Hi Anousheh – It’s about 6:30am central time and I bet you are having a blast! I just climbed off the roof after watching the ISS flare for about 6 minutes across the early morning Dallas sky. It was followed by Atlantis about 10degrees behind you. I’m not sure if this was the first time you could see home since entering the ISS, but I hope you were looking down🙂

Paul

Comment by Paul Hubner — September 20, 2006 @ 11:36 am

19. Oh …. Dear Anousheh

You make a real change in my life, maybe it’s better to say you make a Big change in around the world.
    from a dream to reality ?! it’s really beautiful !! it’s like a real dream, a real vision ..
    you make me hopeful about my future, about my feel in my heart, about my goal.
    Now you are near the God, much than us ! you can see the god, you can feel the god, you can
    touch the God with all existence. Say our helo to God .
    It seems that Contact(film) becoming real.
    Be sure that in every place, in every time, God always with you.

Mona

Comment by Mona — September 20, 2006 @ 3:09 pm

20. Wow …do I envy You! You made your dream come true. I am so proud of you as a person and especially as a woman. Your dream is our hope…..

Godspeed

Comment by Monica — September 20, 2006 @ 4:25 pm

21. congrats Anousheh! while u’re there, don’t forget to shoot some stars and bring them back for the world, for the future to see.

much love,
    milkandonion

Comment by milkandonion — September 20, 2006 @ 4:27 pm

22. سلام من ادم مذهبی نیستم ولی دوست داشتم اگه جای شما بودم یکی از ایات الهی برای تشکر از جانب همه موجودات روی زمین اونجا میخوندم
    eltemase 2a

Comment by esmail — September 21, 2006 @ 8:43 am

23. Congratulations Anousheh!
    You are so great opening new horizons for all women around the world. Your professional and lifetime accomplishments will inspire all of us.
    God be with you.
    Eugenia

Comment by Eugenia — September 21, 2006 @ 12:55 pm

24. Congratulations Anoosheh joon , I am a iranian girl and wish always like u ! I want to go to space one day, when i heard about your program and your goals and now i see u in the space , in the middle of your dream ( or same dream like me) I am so excited and just want to cry because I think I am in the space now . I and all the iranian proud u [ hamayeh ma be to eftekhar mikonim ] , I can not believe it that I write from Iran from Earth and you read this things in the space , and you connect with us from another world , from my dream ! i wish that see u in Iran very soon . kiss u from Iran .
    GOOD LUCK
    SAHAR

Comment by Sahar — September 21, 2006 @ 7:24 pm

25. Hi Anousheh – Susie & I bought you COSMOS dvd series to watch onboard as we didn’t think you were going to be rocketing up so soon. We are at sea between Sydney and Melbourne today. Watch for us. Everyone onboard is excited for you and we watched your docking onbard. We wish you a safe return and so jealous of your view!! See you back on the small blue dot – DICK & SUSIE

Comment by Dick & Susie on The World — September 22, 2006 @ 12:51 am

26. All these comments have been sent to Anousheh — please leave new ones on a more recent post.

Comment by X PRIZE — September 22, 2006 @ 1:45 am